A Strong Spiritual Foundation for Your Home
On Sunday morning, I delivered a message titled “Spiritual Foundation for the Home" from Ephesians 5:18 -21. I presented this sermon as a first in a series titled “Protecting Your Family.” Here is the Biblical text:
And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the SPIRIT,
Speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the LORD.
Giving thanks always for all things to GOD the Father in the name of our LORD JESUS CHRIST.
Submitting to one another in the fear of God.
We continue to experience both rapid and also dramatic social, moral, and cultural changes in our generation which are diametrically opposed to our faith and values. So we must ask the questions,
- What can we do to protect our marriage, our kids, and our homes from the onslaught of secularism?
- What can we do to have a solid, Biblical home that runs counter-culture to what the people in today’s culture believe?
- How can we not only survive but also thrive as a family?
This message series seeks to provide answers to these questions, attempts to equip families for an uncertain future, and prepares us to make the necessary changes in order to ensure a strong spiritual foundation for our personal lives, our marriages, our children, and our homes.
We began this message series with the focus on ourselves, because we cannot have a strong spiritual foundation for our home if we do not have a strong spiritual foundation for our lives.
So, we must EXPERIENCE THE SPIRIT-FILLED LIFE – (Verse 18) “Keep on being continuously filled with the SPIRIT.”
Then verses 19-21 presented EVIDENCES OF THE SPIRIT-FILLED LIFE.
- Singing, vs. 19: Speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the LORD.
- Giving Thanks, vs. 20: Giving thanks always for all things to GOD the Father in the name of our LORD JESUS CHRIST.
- Submission, vs. 21: Submitting to one another in the fear of GOD.
Then I shared 4 takeaways in the form of questions:
- Are you RIGHT NOW experiencing the SPIRIT-filled life?
- Are you experiencing a continual inner joy that produces music in your heart?
- Are you experiencing an ongoing spirit of thanksgiving in your life?
- Are you experiencing a continual attitude of submission in your life, seeking to serve others?
In order for our homes to have a firm spiritual foundation, each one of us must be filled with the SPIRIT. So answering the question, “Are you filled with the SPIRIT” is huge.
This coming Sunday morning we continue to “walk through” Ephesians 5, as we examine the subject of a strong spiritual marriage from verses 22-33.
Please join with me in praying for GOD to work in our lives, our marriages, our children, and our homes in order to have a solid spiritual foundation in the midst of the cultural storm now raging.